Learn About the Different Types of Asbestos and the Reasons for Proper HandlingBlog | September 26th, 2019
Asbestos is a broad term for six naturally occurring minerals. All are made up of thin, long fibrous crystals, which contain microscopic fibrils that with abrasion and other actions can be released into the air. When these fibrils are inhaled, they have been known to cause various types of health issues, such as asbestosis and mesothelioma just for two examples. Even though asbestos is a strong, durable and fireproof substance to add to building and other materials many countries, including Australia, have banned its use due to the negative side effects from exposure to it. To learn about the various types of asbestos and the need for proper removal methods for it, read the following.
A Brief Explanation of the Different Types of Asbestos
• Chrysotile or white asbestos is probably the most well-known of the types of asbestos. It can be found in ceilings, floors, walls, roofs and insulation in certain ages of residential and commercial structures. Also, other uses for this asbestos include vehicle brake linings, boiler seals and gaskets.
• Anthophylite might be found in small amounts in construction materials and insulation products. The colour of it varies from white to dull green. Also, it can be a contaminant in talc, vermiculite and chrysotile asbestos.
• Crocidolite or blue asbestos was once used for insulation in steam engines and for pipes. In addition, some spray-on coatings, and certain cement and plastic products.
• Acitinole and tremolite are other forms of asbestos, but they are not used in commercial applications. Rather, they are contaminants in talc, vermiculite and chrysotile asbestos.
Why Specific Techniques Are Necessary for Handling and Removing Asbestos
If asbestos products are disturbed, the microscopic fibres are sent airbourne, and as a result, people can inhale them accidentally. These fibres can become trapped in the lungs where they remain for a lengthy period of time. During this time, the fibres cause irritation, inflammation and even scarring. This all leads to difficulty breathing and other more serious health issues. Due to all these reasons, special techniques and care always should be used with removing any type of asbestos. Asbestos removal is not a job for amateurs since it calls for not only approved removal and disposal methods but also for an in-depth analysis prior to the start of the project.
For further information about the different types of asbestos and reasons for proper handling to remove them, consult with Simcat Demolitions. We are experts at asbestos removal, disposal and cleanup that we carry out by using an Asbestos Control Plan with an Asbestos Safe Work Method Statement in accordance with all EPA and WorkSafe standards.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- The Importance of Risk Assessment and Management in Demolition and Removal Services
- Why Should You Check Your Demolition Contractor’s Environment Management Plan Before Hiring Them?
- An Overview of Remediation and Abatement Services and How Simcat Demolitions Can Help You
- How Simcat Demolition Professionals Handle Proper and Safe Recycling After Every Project
- What are the Standard Safety Check Protocols for Every Demolition and Site Clearance Project?
- What are the Things to Consider in Estimating a Residential Demolition Project Cost?
- The Importance of Cost-Effective Demolition and Excavation Services for Your Project
- Things to Consider When Pre-planning Building Demolition Sites
- How to Deal with Fire Damaged Buildings and Why Would You Need Expert Demolishers?
- Construction Waste Management After Demolition